Sunday 28 April 2019

Comic: Black Hammer '45 #1


Published by: Dark Horse
Written by: Jeff Lemire, Ray Fawkes
Art by: Matt Kindt, Sharlene Kindt

I am a big fan of Jeff Lemire's Black Hammer series. The original series was a breath of fresh air for me last year. So it was with high expectations that I subscribed to this new series set in the Golden Age of World War II.

Mr Lemire is sharing writing credits with Ray Fawkes here. So I'm not sure how that will pan out. Presumably Jeff has provided an outline of the plot arch to be followed. I do not have any issue with this approach, but not convinced other readers will?

This first issue introduces us to the main cast; sets the background for the story and provides a modicum of history for a couple of characters. The plot device employed here is the reminiscences of a character named, Hammer Hawthorne. He is preparing to celebrate an undefined anniversary and travels to collect his colleague, Li. During this event we get to revisit their WWII escapades as members of the Black Hammer Squadron, a group of elite fighter pilots who do battle with extraordinary enemies within the Axis. We are also introduced to a bad-ass villain in the shape of the Nazi uber-pilot The Ghost Hunter, who has racked up an amazing number of kills and has had previous run-ins with the Back Hammer Squadron. We are also given a glimpse of Red Tide a group of Soviet Mechanical giant robots. There are some good moments here, nothing too spectacular, but enough to keep you reading.

I have to mention the art by Matt and Sharlene Kindt. It is very different from normal 'comic-book' fare. I can only describe it as scratchy ink, with elegant water colours. It's not something I've seen before, and takes a while to get used to. The characters heads appear too big in some panels, but otherwise it does not detract from the story telling. I'm not sure if it will grow on me or not, but I'm wiling to give it a go. I suppose this is based more upon the fact this is a Black Hammer comic, and should fit within the lore of other related lines.